Coninie Stone, Kirkhope, Manor Valley.
This early Christian inscribed stone lay until 1890, in
association with a cairn of stones at this site. It was taken to
Peebles Museum in 1934, by which date the cairn had been
demolished, but its position is probably marked by the circular
setting of stonework, in which there lies a concrete replica of
the stone. The stone is a block of hard whinstone 0.92m long and
0.24m broad on the inscribed face. The lettering is dateable to
the 6th century AD. The memorial is inscribed on a slab of
whinstone which has been fractured in an attempt to break it for
re-use in dyking, this accounts for a number of wedge-shaped and
pitted-hollows which cross the stone on its main axis. The
inscription is incomplete but it has been suggested that it
reads "Coninie the Martyr".
Take the A72 west from Peebles and turn left for Kirkton Manor.
Continue following the minor road up Manor valley. Stop at the
bridge over Kirkhope Burn. Follow the farm track up the valley,
heading for Old Kirkhope. The stone is located by a solitary tree
on the hill side.
Beside bridge over Kirkhope Burn or on verge.
The replica stone at this location has little to offer but the
site appears to be the remains of an ancient burial cairn and
offers a good viewpoint looking down into the Manor valley