Caiy Stane, Fairmilehead, Edinburgh.
The Caiy Stane is located in a small recess in the wall along
the west side of Caiystane View, a few metres from the junction
of Oxgangs road, Edinburgh. The stone is of red sandstone and
reaches a height of 2.75m with a breadth of 1.60m. A weathered
row of six cup marks can be seen at low level in its east side.
The stone is said to mark the site of a battle between the Picts
and the Romans. The Camus Stone, an alternative name for the
Caiy Stane, may have actually been a separate stone and was
believed to have been situated 200m south of the toll house.
Though it gave name to a neighbouring estate, and formed the
march stone of its eastern bounds, it was destroyed within
living memory to provide materials for road repairs.
A plaque by the stone gives further information. It has been
suggested that astronomical alignments may exist with the Pentland
Hills to the south west. Two very large conical stone cairns,
called the Cat Stanes, once stood 25m to the east but were
destroyed during 19th century road construction works.
From Edinburgh City By-Pass take the Lothianburn Junction and head
into the city. Turn left at the first traffic lights onto Oxgangs
Road. Caiystane View is on the right. The stone is set into a
small alcove at the side of the street.
Easy parking is available in the streets around the
This is an impressive stone, despite standing in a residential
area of Edinburgh. It must surely have been magnificent when the
area was open fields with views all around, that being as
recently as 1903. One the rear of the stone a series of cup
marks can be seen and according to the National Trust for
Scotland the stone may date back to 3000 BC with an association
to Neolithic finds in the area.