007 Giant's Stone, Menzion, Tweedsmuir.
The Giant's Stone forms part of a group of three standing stones
situated on both sides of the road leading to Fruid Reservoir
from Tweedsmuir village. The stone stands at around 1.60m high
and is located on the south side of the road. There are two
other standing stones nearby. Parish records of 1833 state that
there were other stones but these were carted away, presumably
to build dry stone dykes. The 1" Ordnance Survey map of
1859 - 1860 fails to note the two other stones at this location
and notes the Giant's Stone as "Remains of Druidical
From the A701 Penicuik to Moffat road, take the sign posted
junction for Tweedsmuir village. Leaving the car in the gravel
parking area on the south side of the village, walk along the
single track road heading up to Fruid Reservoir. The Giant's Stone
can be found less than 1 mile along this road. The stones are
easily seen and the Giant's Stone is on the right hand side.
There is no parking beside the stones and vehicles should be left
at the gravel area beside the monument in Tweedsmuir village.
The 1845 Statistical Accounts of Scotland is worth
quoting on this legend.
"Close by the road leading from the church to Menzion
House, there are the remains of a Druidical temple or Pictish
court of justice. Only one stone is left of a number similar in
appearance and size which stood together, and which have been
removed for the purpose of dike- building. It is called
the Standing Stone, and is five feet above the surface of the
earth. From behind it, a person of diminutive stature, known by
the name of Little John, discharged an arrow at the head of a
freebooter of formidable dimension who greatly annoyed the
peaceful inhabitants, and who, though on the opposite side of
the Tweed, was unable to elude the deadly stroke." One
point of interest is that the other two standing stones, both of
which are visible from the Giant's Stone, are not mentioned.
The spot where the stone stands has also been referred to as
The Giant's Grave although this is noted in the 1845 Statistical
Accounts of Scotland as being on the opposite side of the river.
A burial cist was discovered at the spot.
The Giant's Stone is one of three stones found screened by
forestry on a minor road leading to Fruid Reservoir, just north
of the village of Tweedsmuir. The weather was overcast but
bright during the time of visit and the atmosphere of the place
still spooky to say the least. I've also been there on previous
occasions when the weather has been dull and thick mist swirled
about the rustling conifers, giving the place a haunted look.
CANMORE records two other stones once stood in the vicinity but
with the area now under dense forestry these have apparently
been lost. However, at NT 0938 2388 there are two weathered
recumbent stones measuring 1.9m x 1.0m x 0.4m and 1.4m x 0.9m x
0.3m have been noted and may be the missing stones. A point of
interest, when walking past the site, was that each of the three
standing stones at this location had a single quartz pebble
placed on top. This probably has some ritual significance as
quartz is often used in pagan rituals associated with standing
stones and stone circles.